Wednesday, October 30, 2013
Joyeux Noel letter
You have completed watching the movie Joyeux Noel, which shows many different things. Most of these men did not really know what they were fighting for, they just knew that they had to fight and kill. This movie shows that despite all the atrocities and killing, there can still be civility between the opposing sides.
When we began watching the movie, you were asked to pick one of three sides: German, French, or British (Scottish). Your assignment is to write a short 1 paragraph letter as if you were a soldier from that side that was witness to what happened that Christmas eve. How did you react to what happened? How did it change your perspective on why you were there? Be creative with what you say in the letter, just keep it accurate to the story.
This letter should only be 1-2 paragraphs in length, as well as should be in complete sentences. This "letter" is due posted prior to 8am on Monday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Jocelin Pusch
ReplyDeleteDear Mama,
I hope you'll read this letter, I gave this letter to a woman called Anna, I trust her more with my mail and the military mail delivery. I want you to know that I'm still alive. The first few weeks have been hard, but Christmas eve was unbelievable. We had Christmas trees everywhere and Sprink sang for us, the atmosphere was a totally new experience for all of us. After Sprink has finished his song, we heard the Scottish playing the bagpipe. He started singing to it and went out of the Trench, in the middle of no mans land. I thought he was crazy! He could be dead in 2 seconds, but strangely, nobody killed him. Some generals of each country met in the middle of no mans land and started talking. And 5 minutes later we were all celebrating and exchanging wine and chocolate. It was weird, because yesterday we shot their people but now we were celebrating? I was thankful for it though. That's what we all needed. A break to celebrate Christmas.
I hope everything is fine, I'll be back soon.
Your son,
Walter Belaschky
(my great-grandfather)
Dear Mom and Dad,
ReplyDeleteIt’s been very hard fighting in the French Trenches. We’re only feet from the Germans and British and can even hear them talking. There’s very little fighting, but I’m lucky to be alive. Every time we go over the top into No Man’s Land, many people die. But all this changed on Christmas Eve. I heard bagpipes and the British singing Christmas songs, and Germans talking and eating off in the distance. Then one German voice rose up from their trench, singing along with the British. We were all in shock when we looked up to see what was going on. He was walking across No Man’s Land with a small tree, decorated with candles. I was given commands not to fire...yet. Then the three generals came out of the trenches and met in the middle. After some talking, we got the message that there will be a cease fire for the night, for Christmas.
Right away the Germans and British came out of the trenches and began to greet each other, sit down in groups, and begin to talk, sing, and play games. We were wary at first, but then someone came over to us with some champagne and invited us up. The French, including myself, were reluctant at first, but after some awkward situations, it became very comfortable. I began showing pictures of my family, home, and friends to the “enemy”. All night we played together and shared Christmas Eve with each other. Then, when the sun rose we returned to our trenches. This experience made me wonder why we are even fighting this war. It turns out that people aren’t that different, even if they do speak different languages. I will remember that night for the rest of my life.
Sincerely,
Alec
Dear Mom
ReplyDeleteToday is Christmas Eve. I have survived all the bombings and attacks from the French and Scottish. I was sitting in the trench drinking with some friends when we heard bagpipes playing. The bagpipes sounded so majestic. Then my friend Sprinks and his girl started singing Christmas songs for us. We were all amazed when one of the bagpipe players and Sprinks started playing and singing together. Then they walked out of the trenches as everyone watched in amazement as our commander and the Scottish commander, and the French commander meet and talked. Then we all came out of our trenches and meet in the middle of the battlefield. We meet and played games with each other, and shared drinks. I came to make friends with some Scottish as we showed each other pictures of our wives and kids. I am grateful for this opportunity to meet my new friends and not have to be shot at. It just makes me wonder why we are fighting against them, they are nice people. This was a great Christmas, and I am thankful for the opportunity to meet the Scottish.
Your loving son
Cole
Dear Father
ReplyDeleteIt is a Merry Christmas indeed therefore I am still alive and well. I could say those bloody British and French haven't blown me to pieces yet, but Im not so sure they deserved to be called such names. This Christmas at war was unlike any other. For the night of christmas eve us Germans were in the trench just wishing to be home, when my good man Sprink sang to us, and all was quiet among the other trenches. Then daringly he went out onto the front and I afraid to hear gun shots ring out but none did, each passing moment the enemy did nothing but slowly they rose from each side unarmed and talk amongst themselves. I was afraid for my friends lives.
Then as the time passed no weapons were being fired but bagpipes started to ring out and cautiously we all amazingly rose out of our trenches every last one of us, British, French and Germans and just listened in peace to the song. We all just synced with the melody and Christmas trees surrounded us.
Then ever so cautiously we introduced ourselves to the enemy, but the magic in the air brought us men to a certain peace. Soon enough Everyone was sharing champagne talking about ourselves, and how much we missed our families at home. After awhile I forgot I was talking to the men I would kill if I sighted them. Once we were all friends we wished one another good luck then with heavy hearts went back to our trenches. Everything was silent, as we were all keep in thought, what was this war about? These are just men going hoping to see home in there sights soon. All I could conclude for sure was that it was a Merry Merry Christmas for sure.
All My Love,
Your Son
Jill
Dear Mother,
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, Happy Holidays. You will not believe what occurred during Christmas Eve. A gentleman from the German trenches began to sing Silent Night. While he sang one of our man decided to play his bagpipe along. I’m not sure why he did, but I’m glad he did. I’m glad because it gave us a chance to enjoy Christmas Eve. So t. hen the German man came out of his trench and began to sing another song, everyone with bagpipes also played along. Once he was done singing and we were done playing our command officer met with theirs in the middle, which is known as no mans land. A little while after, the French command officer joined in on the discussion.
When our command officer came back he told us that we all were going to put down our weapons for Christmas Eve. I was hesitant at first, but then again it was the holidays so why not enjoy it. It was quite interesting to see all of us trying to communicate with each other, talking about our families, and friends. I realized then that these men are just the same, it doesn’t matter where they are from. We’re all scared; worried we’ll never make it alive or get to see our families again. I’m starting to wonder why I even joined to fight in this war. Wells anyways I hope everyone’s okay, and don’t worry about me mother; I’m doing just fine.
Best of luck,
Your Son
Nallely
Dear Elizabeth,
ReplyDeleteI miss home and I wish I could have been home for Christmas. Hows the Kids? I hope they are doing as fine as can be. I had a interesting time on Christmas eve. The Scottish started playing "Silent Night" with their bag pipes then all the sudden we hear this fantastic voice coming form the German trench. I look over our trench and he's walking into no-mans-land with a Christmas tree singing. The Scottish were first to come from their trenches and Join in the carol. It took time for the we French to come out. The three generals came to the middle and talked and agreed for the Christmas week to be peaceful. All of us started to play games, sing, talk and get along like normal human beings. One day, the German had a surprise attack as well as us French so we took cover in the enemy's trench. Then we all went back in our own trenches and went back to acting like savages. This was a life changing experience because it showed me that loving your enemy's is possible. Anything is possible. I love you honey and I can promise you that I will make it home safe.
Your love,
Lance
~Charity (French)
Dear Mother,
ReplyDeleteI know how worried you must be right now, but do not fret about me because I am fine. You would not believe what has happened this past Christmas Eve. While we were eating our dinner, the Germans started singing the song "Silent Night." Then one of our own started playing the bagpipes along with the German singing. Eventually, this lead to the three generals from each side to meet together and decide to have a cease fire for Christmas Eve. Then our priest decided to lead a mass for all of the soldiers, German, French, or Scottish and it did not matter. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction in solving our differences in this war, so that I and all of the other soldiers can come back home and see there families again. I miss you more than you can imagine mother. Say a prayer for me and all of the other soldiers fighting in this war. I love you mother.
Love,
Your son
-Joseph (Scottish)
Dear Thomas,
ReplyDeleteThe battle has been ugly and gruesome many have died. Tonight we were able to get along with each other for Christmas it started with a few songs we all have heard since we were young. Instead of a war between fire arms it became a war between songs. we began to sing then they sung back to us. We got out our bag pipes and played along with the tunes it was fantastic. The leaders all gathered together and shared drinks. Then all of us were out in between the trenches sharing our stories and lives just having a jolly old time. It was truly amazing to see how we could all get along like best friends just for that one evening i was truly amazed! Keep praying for me i hope the war ends soon and i can come home God willing it will happen.
Your Brother,
Zach
Mother,
ReplyDeleteThe last few days have been a blessing to all of us on the front. All sides were at peace for christmas eve. I even got to see a beautiful Lady for the first time in god knows how long. everybody was drinking with people from different countries and exchanging stories of loved ones. We all joined in on christmas carols. Christmas day was peaceful because we buried all of our men. But good things always come to an end.
Sincerely
The two of us
(Jordan)