After you have watched the video as a class, respond to the following question. Do you feel that there should be a disclaimer telling people of the "not so good ways" that some of the Robber Barons made their money? To explain this a little further, according to the conspicuous consumption and the idea of Social Darwinism, they had wealth because they deserved it. Take the position of the person you were
assigned from the "Who Am I Activity".
(One paragraph response written from the perspective of your person. Be sure to Identify who you are by signing it as your character...and then your first name!)
Philip Armour (Jack) Cool house would you care to buy some refrigerators? You look like you need some refrigerators. The house is pretty sick though congrats on all of your wealth sir. I really like the whole styling of the house I might have to use some of your ideas. I plan to build a mansion soon, maybe not quite as big but it’s going to be pretty cool as well. But seriously buy some refrigerators.
ReplyDeleteMarcus Garvey (Gus)
ReplyDeleteI am deeply saddened after watching this horrifying video. People don't need to have that much money when their fellow americans are suffering to extreme levels. Nobody needs 32 bedrooms in any house, especially in a house for three. I can only imagine how the african american workers were treated and paid. Change is much needed in today's america. In my opinion, these terrible robber barons need to be exposed to the american public for the things they are doing to gain enough money to build these monstrosities. In no way is this fair to the american public.
I don't think this is extreme at all because us robber barons made our money fair and square. Just like social Darwinism says, survival of the fittest. I'm at the top because I chose to be. It was your fault for buying into my lies to work for me.
ReplyDeleteCornelius Vanderbilt, Charity
I feel that the Vanderbilt home is completely outrageous. The land is wasted and used inadequately as it could of been used for farming or another useful process. The fact that the house was only made for three people is just ridiculous especially for the time period considering the fact that hundreds of thousands of people were starving to death yet the Vanderbilt's were careless and used their money to have golden wallpaper instead of helping the poor survive. The selfishness of one family cost many people their own lives because they could not afford to live. ~ Upton Sinclair, Zach
ReplyDeleteI do not think that somebody should have a house that big, if the workers were not paid equally. I think that the workers should be treated equally especially if they were african americans. Its not necessary to have a house that big. Those are just my thoughts. -Booker T. Washington Kyle
ReplyDeleteI am completely against having this huge house and property. It is a waste of money and land. The land could have been used for more farms to make more food for the people. Wasting all that money on one house for 3 people is ridiculous. The money could have been used to build smaller houses for the people to have homes. The people that were housed there could have used some of the land to farm and make a profit. There are to many people looking for work and a home to have wasted all of that land and money.
ReplyDeleteOliver Hudson Kelley -Cole
After touring Vanderbilt’s home, I fully support his decision to build a lavish mansion. He has worked for the money he earned and can spend it as he chooses. Those who say otherwise are obviously just jealous that he can live in such a wonderful place and they can’t. Building this home was just another testament to his wealth and power. Like him, I have created an empire for myself and plan on building a home similar to his. Men of our stature should be able to use and display our wealth in any way that we please. His wealth is the only justification needed for building such a home.
ReplyDeleteJames Duke (Alec)
This display of wealth obviously must not be continued or praised in any way or form. Obviously this atrocity was created in horrible working conditions. The amount of man hours that it took to build this thing was obviously in excess of 14 hours a day at least. I am not even going to comment on the pay which was most likely not even totaling $1 a day. With that sort of money spent on one house at least one could pay their employees a decent sum. In my opinion this house should be destroyed and the money from it should be given to the workers for compensation of their time and effort. This house is an insult to the working class and should be destroyed so that people can live a normal life without being reminded about how they are not as rich as others.
ReplyDeleteSeriously Enraged,
Samuel Gompers Adam
Hello im Darrius Horatio
ReplyDeleteI would be ok with the money spending of the building of the mansion because the have earned there money threw hard work and sweat. The barons had to make there money buy lowering their products so people would buy more of their product then some one else's, and earning money threw any means is completely fine with me. i believe the dissevered all the money the earned because the started out with nothing in the beginning.
A castle for three people that has at least 250 rooms, 34 bathrooms, a gym, a 175,000 gallon pool and gold wallpaper. Is that not just pure selfishness to show off in front of everyone faces what you really have when your rich. I spend my life fighting for the equal rights of every man and woman no matter what their race, and to the hands of the laborers who built that house no equality was probably shown. Those men and woman were most likely poor immigrants who were getting too low of pay for the master piece they created. They spent many hours being forced to create an over the top luxury for simply another human being while the workers go home to poverty stricken structures they live in. All men and woman are equal and should be treated as so, those laborers should have been rewarding greatly for what they made possible to be treated equal. This house was a unthinkable project that showed how the rich overpower the poor treating each other not in the same way. One day I hope are society realizes that we are all different but in reality all the same and should be treated as so.
ReplyDeleteW.E.B DuBois
Jill
Andrew Carnegie here. That house is pretty cute, I have 7. Seriously though nice house, but I think it could be better if it was a tad bit larger. You worked for the money and you earned the mansion and the respect of everyone. The only reason anyone wouldn’t want to own this house is because they can’t afford it.
ReplyDelete(Jordan)
Of course people should be aware of how Robber Barons made their money. That much wealth doesn’t just get handed to them. There are people who are envious of them thinking that Robber Barons actually earned their money when they just found a shortcut. You shouldn’t be proud to live in that house you should be ashamed. There are people who actually work hard to earn their paychecks. All that money that was spent on a ridiculous house could’ve been money others could be earning. I find nothing impressive about that house, and I for sure don’t desire to live in it. I’d rather live on the streets.
ReplyDelete-Thomas Nast
Nallely