Tuesday, December 3, 2013

War of the Worlds

War of the Worlds Activity

Please open the red link before we listen to the audio.  

  War of the Worlds Articles and Script.


Your task today in class is to read along with the script and listen to the broadcast of The War of the Worlds.  We will also be reading the articles from the "towns" newspaper on the anniversary of the famous broadcast.
Your task is to respond to the broadcast in a letter to the editor about what you have heard on the radio.  In your letter to the editor you will explain your position on the issue regarding the broadcast.

WAIT TO RESPOND.  We will be reading an article about how people responded, so DON'T post anything until Friday.  You will need this background information to answer the questions.

Your letter will need to take the position of a person that.......

  1. believed the broadcast and thought the earth was being invaded by the martians.
  2. loved it as entertainment, and doesn't understand how people could have believed that this was real!
Your post - is due on Friday by 3:30 pm.  It must be in proper letter to the editor format.
Here is an example of what I am looking for.

Happy writing!

16 comments:

  1. Dear CBS
    I wish to thank the people that were in the in the skit War of the Worlds. I really enjoyed the show, it was very really realistic. I will admit the beginning when I turned to the show it had me a little on edge with the "breaking news". But as I looked out of my window and neither saw black smoke nor heard a heat ray beam, I realized it may just be a story. And a good one it was. I cannot wait till next years.
    -Mr. Cline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Editor:

    Thank you for the entertaining broadcast on Friday! “War of the Worlds” is one of my favorite novels and when I heard that Orson Welles and the Mercury Theater Group was doing an adaptation, I knew I had to tune in. It was well written and well performed. About halfway through the first act, my neighbors came to my door, in hysterics. They were convinced that the aliens had landed and the black smoke was coming our way. One of my neighbors had attended Princeton and was distraught that his beloved alma mater was about to be destroyed. During intermission I had to calm them down and show them my copy of War of the Worlds. Once they realized it was fictitious, we sat down together and enjoyed the last half of the story.

    Thank you again for Friday’s broadcast of Welles’ adaptation of War of the Worlds. It was very enjoyable, though some didn’t think the same.

    Sincerely,

    Alec L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To the editor,

    The notion has come upon me to address you regarding the topic of your production of Orson Welles’ “War of the Worlds”. How dare you. Upon switching on my radio, I heard the news of an alien attack. Although it may sound naïve, I did in fact believe the country was under attack. I went home, frantically packing my clothes and was half way to the Mexican border by the time I heard it was a clothes. The thought of being blown to death by an alien heat ray was startling to say the least. You should be ashamed of yourself. Grover’s Mill was my hometown and I was too scared to think.

    -Williams

    ReplyDelete
  4. To the Editor:

    This was one of the best story lines I have heard in a long time. After I had heard that this was all done in one run, I was astounded. I believe that you are not in the fault for the aftermath that occurred from this story. I understand how people could confuse this with a real invasion as when the reporter Phillips just collapsed with the fake noise of his dead body falling. You and your team told your listening audience three times that this was a dramatization. It is unfortunate that many people committed suicide from this, but sometimes you cannot help stupid.

    Sincerely,
    Joseph

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Editor;

    When I found out this was fake, I wanted to scream. I was all prepared for this event, I got my cellar all ready with food and water. You scared the daylights out of my kids. For heavens sake, you could have put this on a different radio channel instead of on CBS. Next time, make it darn clear that it is fake, or else (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To The editor:

      Why in the world would you air this program?!!? WHAT A WASTE OF MY TIME! I thought it was real for a while. I’m glad you caused most of the nation a stressful hour, meany heads. Black smoke is completely realistic and loud booms too, your cbs station could be hundreds of miles away from my house, I would never know if it just hadn’t happened near me yet. As soon as an advertisement came on I knew it was fake but for 15 minutes I was freaking the freak out. You guys really messed up the story if you were truly trying make it seem real with the second half as well, some stuff seemed really unrealistic like drones. The more I write the more I calm down and like your story idea ☺ #Bipolar #RantToPeace

      -Jack

      Delete
  6. This was such a great story! It was very dramatic I enjoyed the part where they saw tentacle like objects crawling out of the crashed object then barley being able to hold up the body it was dramatic. Another thing I thought was great is when the guy was one of the only few left and he ran into a stranger who acted completely crazy about the whole thing. Like I said it was a great story but maybe next time add a few more warning throughout the broadcast telling all the stupid morons that believe it is real that it in fact is fake! Once again I loved the story! – Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Editor,
    I thought the podcast was scary. I didn't hear the announcement that it's not really happening. I was going crazy at the beginning, but throughout the story, I came down a little. Half way through the story, I knew it wasn't true, but still, another announcement that it's all fake wouldn't have been bad. It would have helped me a lot because I was still a little scared. Not to forget the people, that committed suicide. You killed these people, because I'm sure that if you would have had more announcements, they were still alive. Shame on you! I thought it was a great Halloween story, but the fact that I was really shocked at the beginning and that people died ruins it.
    You definitely lost me as a listener, I'll never listen to your station again.

    Jocelin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Editor


    How can you do that to me! I was so scared when I heard that aliens came out of the first capsule. I ran out of my house and drove all the way to Pittsburgh to get away from the aliens. I stayed at my sister’s house for a few days. She did have any power so we couldn’t listen to the radio. I thought the power was out because of the alien’s giant machines. That was a terrible joke that cost me my job.

    Sincerely
    Cole

    ReplyDelete
  9. To the Editor,
    As i came upon the CBS News station I heard something about aliens making it to earth. then when i heard the pod opened and they became extremely violent, I kept my radio on as I gathered as much ammunition as i could find. I then began to grab a cloth to put over my face because of the black smoke mentioned. i went down to my basement to the corner room and hid next to my shotgun and radio. Then i heard the intermission and realized it was based off a book. This was completely wrong, why would you make such a convincing news cast. Causing so much unneeded fear in so many American citizens is disgracing to our country. this was completely unnecessary and you should feel bad for all the fear you struck into the hearts of your own people.
    Sincerely
    Zach

    ReplyDelete
  10. To whomever it may concern,

    i really appreciated the story that CBS broadcasted Oct. 30. I cant believe my Cousin committed suicide. Probably the stupidest thing he's done in months. In his defense he didn’t start listening until after you said it was a story. If you start at the beginning where it cuts in and out of music it seems very realistic. Although towards the end when hes “walking through the city” with a microphone and says that days have gone by you can tell it was staged. But still a very good source of entertainment... thank you sir

    Sincerely
    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  11. To the editor of CBS Radio Station
    I was very pleased with your entertainment broad cast of the War of the Worlds. but I think some people aren't mental capable to handle a story like this on the radio, let alone capable to figure out you guys are the only ones playing thins on your station. I guess you can’t help stupid. People should have realized that it was fake when he said two days three days because i guess time flies really fast in on hour. I really liked it i think it was a good way to celebrate Halloween.

    Sincerely
    Darrius Panos

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Upsetter of the Peace,

    It was very unfortunate of you to even think of playing this piece for the public audience. Though while I admire your daring in playing this program, I am afraid that it upset me terribly when turning to it. At once I pulled my shotgun off the rack, while listening out of my ear. It was toward the middle of the program when I heard the announcer go the artillery unit that was firing at the time. I headed for the basement of my house in search for my TNT. I came back up in time to hear the bomber going down at the martian, but then remembered I had forgotten my blasting caps and had to go back down into the basement for 15 minutes, the supposed time when you made your announcement that it wasn’t real. In short, this broadcast was childish and unnecessary, and cost me several hundred dollars in dynamite. You will be hearing from my lawyers within the next two weeks, for upsetting the peace of the country.

    Utterly angry,
    George T. Smith

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Editor

    I will commend you on your incredibly convincing broadcast..oh wait it was too convincing! Only once did you assure the public that this was only a story. Did you not think of what chaos that could come out of this? I was lucky to be one that heard it was fake! I had my dearest friends call asking me if we should all be together for the end! Have the minds of some not spiraled out of control? By sending a dark corrupt wave of fear and deceit not to one person, but on live Radio! How did we the public know what to do with ourselves? If you thought this was a good idea, I would check yourself on the information you expose to innocent Americans. Over all, I hope you will be held responsible for your actions!
    P.S. You will be judged!

    From
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Editor,

    I loved listening to your story. It really got me excited for Halloween. Honestly people shouldn’t get so fired up about how realistic it sounded. The broadcast was well done those people complaining don’t know anything. Although I understand why they got scared of how real it sounded but you stated three times throughout the broadcast that it was a dramatization and if people still believed it was real than it’s their own fault for being so gullible. Also the second part of the story definitely didn’t feel real since it took place on the 30th of October when the broadcast was airing the 29th of October. People need to learn to be more understanding and learn how to take a joke. Personally I think you did an excellent job. I hope after this you still decide to air more stories similar to “The War of the Worlds”.

    Sincerely,
    Nallely

    ReplyDelete