Friday, September 6, 2013

Triangle Shirtwaist Fire Response

Assume the identity of a relative of one of the women/men that died in the Triangle Shirtwaist fire.  What basic rights do you think a worker in a factory or at any job require as part of their rights as human beings?  Write a response to this statement using a name of a REAL person that died in the fire.  




  • Include at least two "rights" that you feel are non-negotiable.
  • Must be completed before 9am on Monday.
  • Spelling/Grammar count!

15 comments:

  1. Please remember to use proper grammar!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother Joseph died in a fire earlier this week! I blame this on the two owners Isaac Harris and Max Blanck who locked the doors to the stairway that day so when the fire occurred escaping was much harder. I remember standing outside the building screaming my brothers name only to see his face through a window mouthing his last words. his hair began to burn then suddenly I could hear his scream above all the rest! It was then finished that was the last I have ever seen of him!
      My Standards after the tragic fire is that each employer has a fire escape plan in several visible areas so in case of a fire all employees will know where to go! people shouldn't have to die because of the carelessness of another person. Also another standard is that everyone is treated equally and has the chance to be promoted and demoted based on pure workmanship and not by any other stature. In which every employee is able to be just as important as another. ~Zach

      Delete
  2. My dear brother Jacob Bernstein is dead. He died while he was at work in the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory, burned in a fire. I believe that there are many things that need to be included in our work system that are not in it as of the moment. One should be put in is that there is no respect for the employees. When the employer does not communicate with the employees about what problems they have on the factory floor, and not giving them any chance to move up. Also if there is no respect in the workplace then the bosses are more likely to press more oppressive demand upon the people that they have hired. Thus respect for the employees is essential to having a successful business.
    The most important application to all workplaces that can be taken from this is the fact of safety. In this catastrophe there was not enough safety measure taken to ensure employee survival in case of a fire. According to some of the survivors the most protection in case of fire was a dozen water buckets, which considering the amount of loose cotton and flammable material around the factory floor, almost ensuring that at least one person would die. Then the fact that the fire trucks ladder reached only to three floors below the ninth floor, resulting in people jumping from the windows to end their suffering. Without safety in the workplace then people will keep on dying like this, and who already have. Obviously this fire shows many flaws within the system.

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the day of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire, many lives were taken including my sister's Rose Crepo. through the devastation it was revealed the unfairness that the faculty showed to its employees in the factory. For I do believe every employed person deserves the right to feel and be safe at their work. Through the reviews of the event it is said that hardly anyone escaped for everything was blocked off except a single elevator, and many died trying to escape the flames. I wonder what kind of responsible business would only provide one reasonable door to freedom, letting only the few fortunate survive? It only shows that every man and woman was only looking out for themselves which does not create a safe environment whatsoever.
    Another right workers deserve is breaks between there hours. Most jobs today do not have variety. You have a task to constantly repeat and be efficient at, resulting in people being slaves to their work. Employees are expected to act like robots being controlled by the staff's expectations. So every human being deserves a time to get up, and take a breath. If bosses do not allow breaks then they are not respecting the workers but treated them like animals. Therefore entitled men and woman to a break is a sign of respect and a reward for there good work. May the employees of the Shirtwaist factory been given a break at the time, some young innocent people could still be alive today. I believe that every man and woman deserves to be given a break from time to time and should be able to rely on that fact that the company is prepared for any disasters waiting to strike providing safety for one another and I hope this is the case for businesses in the future.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m grieved in reporting that my brother, Jacob Klein, was killed in the fire at the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory. He often complained about the terrible conditions at the factory, but had to keep the job so he could support his wife and son. His tragic death was directly related to these conditions, including the locking of doors to the street and very little precautions of accidents, such as fires. He was paid very little and worked unbelievably long hours. Between the long hours and awful conditions of the workplace, he, as well as most of the other workers, believed they should be paid more. In Jacob’s memory, I ask for more rights and opportunities for workers in America.

    Firstly, the conditions. I feel that workers should feel safe and comfortable at their job. I think that all factories and other places of employment should have predetermined safety regulations that apply to all businesses. Workers will work harder and have better attitudes if they aren’t scared for their lives each time they go to work. If safety regulations were in place at the Triangle, I doubt the countless workers would have died. Second, I believe that workers should receive fair pay and work reasonable hours. Money is the only motivation for workers today, and these measly sums barely cover basic living expenses, especially if one worker has to support an entire family. I also think that workers should only have to work so many hours per week, with breaks throughout the day. I would imagine that if workers were well rested when they came to work, and only had to work six or seven hours a day, they would have the energy to work harder. I strongly feel that these are just a few simple, yet basic rights that humans deserve.

    -Alec

    ReplyDelete
  5. My life has not been the same since the loss of my girlfriend Sarah Brodsky. I lost her in the Triangle Shirtwaist factory fire because of the poor working conditions. She complained all the time about the working conditions and how poor they were. She said they locked the doors so that no one could get out, and they only had a few buckets of water in the corners to stop fires. The owners should have put more effort into making the conditions safer for the workers. They should have left the doors unlocked incase of a disaster like this. They should have put more that just a few buckets of water in the corners, there should have been something else to help suppress a fire. It was the working conditions that killed the women.

    I am also mad about the pay that Sarah and the other workers received. They got about $8 a week. Which is terrible for the hours and the conditions they worked in. if the workers made mistakes in making the clothes that was docked in pay which would make the income even worse. They also had to work at a crazy speed, which made for more mistakes and less pay. The owners should have paid them more and he shouldn’t have docked pay for mistakes. Some of the workers were supporting families in America and their families over seas, so every penny counted for them. I hope that this never happens again and that all workers get better working conditions and pay.

    Cole

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are so many things that could have prevented innocent people from dying in that fire. Unfortunately my sister Isabella Tortorella, who was 17 at the time, was a victim of that fire incident. She had told me how hard the job was. They never had time for a break. The hours were long, with low payment. You had to work fast, and make no mistakes. If they did make a mistake it was taken off their pay. To her this job was a blessing and a curse. She could not quit because then she would not have enough to pay rent, buy food, or any other essentials.

    Workers get exhausted working continuously for hours. Therefore they should be allowed a break every now and then. They also should not be cheated out of their pay. It is not fair that they don’t get paid that much when they work long hours. Instead they should have a minimum wage. Their bosses should be understanding and know that not everything can be perfect. They should lower their expectations of the workers because they cannot work as fast as they need them to. They treat them like slaves. Everyone is going to make little mistakes so when an employee messes up it should not be docked off their paycheck. I just hope other factories learned from this tragic event, and made working conditions for their employees safer if they were not already.

    Nallely

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello my name is Lizzie Adler; I was a victim of the triangle shirtwaist fire. I blame the owners Isaac Harris and Max Blanck for all of the lives that were taken. What happened that day unnecessarily cost over 100 people their lives. Most of the deaths could have been prevented if only the exits were unlocked.


    I believe that people have the right to feel safe and at their workplace and that means there are enough accessible exits. That also means that the exits should always be unlocked while any of the workers are in the building. I also believe that workers should have a safe fire escape. If the fire escape didn’t break the amount of people that died that day most likely would have been less.

    -Jordan S.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My only sister Tina Frank was killed in the fire while he was working in the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory. She was only 17 years old. She always talked about how much she didn't like her job but she did it for us, for her family. We all needed money and we all have jobs we don't like. But Tina's was the worst. She said that they don't even have safety regulations. The people didn't have breaks so they couldn't use the restroom. Tina worked very hard for so many hours, the least they could get is a break.
    I also don't think that the chief should lock his workers. I'm pretty sure more people would have survived if the door hadn't been locked. It's just rude to lock people that work for you. My sister always worked all day and the work destroyed her more and more. She only came home to sleep, I only saw her for a few minutes everyday. She was tired all the time and couldn't concentrate on her work perfectly. Maybe if she wouldn't have to work that much, she could have worked even harder. I do not know why people treat their own workers like this, but I hope it gets better in the future.

    Jocelin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Abraham Binevitz was a great young man that lived just down the street from me. We moved in just about the same time so we got to know each other very well over time. He was in the prime of his career too at just 20 years old I hated to seem go such a hard worker and a great man.

    I believe that the owner of a company should make more money than everyone else because that person started it from ground up and took on the option of failure and losing all their money. I also believe that what’s fair is fair and the working conditions and wages were not fair. They should have more respect for there workers and that should be a right, not, well you broke your arm we got 20 people ready to replace you, we don’t care. But nothing said they couldn’t do that and that was the best way for them to make money as a company. My next biggest right I believe you should have is equal opportunity not you automatically lose because your from Russia and cant do certain things you should be able to work your way up and not do one thing for very little pay forever if you’re really good at that certain thing.

    jack

    ReplyDelete
  10. Last week we lost our beautiful sister Becky Kessler, she passed away in the Triangle Shirtwaste fire. She was the such a neat person and she was such a hard worker, Becky always wanted the best for everyone and was always trying to help people out. She was the only one working in our family so now we have no source of income going on without Becky is gonna be a major struggle..

    I really think all bussiness's should have at least 2-3 approved fire routes because that would have helped greatly and also don't be stupid and lock doors. The other thing the owners should do is take better care of their employes Becky had came home on multiple occasions and told us how she had ran her finger through the sewing machine and she was told to wrap it with cloth and return to work. These might just be my ideas but i think they are changes that should be made. -Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  11. my cousin died in a fire a few weeks ago, her name was Molly Gernstein. we were really close and she was a wonderful person. i don't understand why people would do that to peoples family and be so cruel to them it is heart breaking.

    i think they should have at least have had more buckets of water to put the fire out, if the would have done that the still could be making money and we would still have are family. They could have had more ways to get out of the building or have had left the doors unlocked for them to escape.
    Darrius

    ReplyDelete
  12. My darling Caputta died in a fire in her workplace last week. She was only 17 years old. She never deserved anything like that. I am absolutely furious with the owners of the Triangle Shirtwaist factory because I believe, that because of their inconsiderate decision to lock the door from the outside (only to save a few dollars), is the one main cause of my daughter's death.
    I am starting a petition to give to the court stating that two things are necessary for every workplace and are non-negotiable. Fair pay for the amount of hours worked, higher risk, higher pay. Also, the ability to exit the building quickly and safely in the case of any emergency such as the horrid fire that took my beautiful daughter's life.

    Gus

    ReplyDelete
  13. My dear sister Molly Gernstein died a moth ago at the triangle shirt waste factory because the factory didn't have any fire exits. That is nonsense.

    Me nor my family is going to work in those types of conditions no longer if something doesn't take place. For instants, there absolutely needs to be at least 2 or 3 fire exits on each floor of any building. We need breaks from all this chaos that goes on at work. Minimum wage needs to be equally given to each employee because 19 cents a day does not pay my bills nor anything else. Respect is another thing because if it wasn't for us the bosses would have nothing. We are the one that does the work, We are the ones that make you something, and We are the ones that make it all possible so I think a little respect is not a whole lot to ask for.
    -Charity

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cline

    My friend, Clay, who was like a brother to me died in the great fire. Born and raised in the same shambles of a neighborhood. His mother took me in when mine died. If you want me to come to work, ever, again there are a couple of rules that must be made.
    First you must respect me. I don’t care if you do not like me, you cannot treat me as if I was right out of the sewers, just like I can’t treat you likewise. Second I must have the right to defend myself. If someone comes screaming and shouting I need to be able to say something in my defense. And if they come a’swinging I must be allowed to fight back with out losing my job. I do believe these are fair and reasonable requests and I will not come back unless these are enforced.

    ReplyDelete